- Country: South Africa
- Industry: Charity, Non-Profit
- Stage: Seed
- Investment size: $42,483 / min. $42,483
- Type of investment: Debt, Equity
The purpose of this business plan is to raise financial support to Nqaba Yomzi Youth Development Agency that intends to explore the impact of a support program designed to improve the performance of the Grade 12 learners. The Agency intends to pilot the impact of the Project in ten High Schools situated in King William’s Town District. The Agency is registered as a Non Profit Organization.
The main objective of the Agency is to assist the youth in the area to develop their full potential and find a solution to the social problems that is rife in the area.
The area is very poor with some forty four industries closing down within the past ten years and one of the surviving Industries that has just retrenched half of the staff members due to the economic constraints in 2010.
As a direct result of this the community is exposed to enormous social problems including substance abuse, crime and sexual immorality that leads to the spread of sexually transmitted diseases; the rise of illiteracy and many other social ills.
Young people in this area lead an idle lifestyle. Many of them dropped out of school at the elementary level due to the mentioned social problems and financial constraints. This youth that is out of school do not have skills, nor access to skills development opportunities. The community of King William’s Town may benefit a lot should the out of school youth receive skills that are also needed for the economic advancement of the community.
It is in this background that the Agency seeks for the financial aid to support the Grade 12 learners. The families of the Youth schooling in the economically deprived areas of the District do not have the financial means to access the Private services that could attend to some of the problems of the youth like Counseling and Medical Services.
The Agency is determined to assist in the development of the Grade 12 learners. The project is definitely bound to benefit the beneficiaries and may be replicated in other parts of the Province should the funding be available for the Agency to pilot the Grade 12 Learner Support Project.
Some of the services that the Agency intends to provide are provided by the state but it is no secret that the Public sector cannot cope with the vast challenges of the society. King William’s Town community happens to be one of the communities that seem to have a huge challenge of limited resources.
The Agency shall ensure that
• 10 High Schools are reached where in Five sessions will be conducted to address the identified needs, that is, Lack of Self Assertiveness; Poor Personal Conduct; Lack of effective Study Skills; Lack of Literature search Skills and Lack of Structured Mentorship.
• One Workshop is conducted where in Grade 12 Peer Group Mentors of the identified schools are empowered with Leadership Skills and Peer Emotional Support Skills.
• 160-200 Grade 12 learners in the identified schools will be exposed to Individual Counseling and Family Conferencing Sessions where there is a need.
• 80-100 Grade 12 learners in the identified schools that need Medical Attention for Drug related problems or Depression are given an opportunity for Medical Attention.
• The Agency will conduct consistent monitoring for all the young people that receive the services;
• Monthly progress reports shall be compiled for the youth that receives counseling and short term skills development programs.
• Quarterly reports shall be compiled for the funder(s) to take note of the Agency progress.
• An Audited Bank Statement of the Agency shall be compiled and forwarded to the funder(s) once per Semester to reflect the use of finances.
• An annual report of the Agency that reflects the funders shall also be posted on the Agency website and to all relevant stake holders so as to share the successes of the Agency and the Institutions behind the success of the Agency.
Nqaba Yomzi intends to run several programs aimed at supporting various groups of youth to develop a better attitude and aptitude towards learning. The 12 Grade Learners Project will be our kick-off project.
Some of the services that the Agency intends to provide are provided by the state but it is no secret that the Public sector cannot cope with the vast challenges of the society. King William’s Town community happens to be one of the communities that seem to have a huge challenge in Youth Development. The high rate of crime, school dropout, substance abuse, unemployment, teenage pregnancy attests to that.
Rationale for the deal
Many families in King William's Town do not have any form of income, while others depend on state grants given to qualifying individuals. The proposed Youth Development opportunity can help many families to break out of the vicious circle of poverty. Nqaba Yomzi Youth Development Agency sees a great potential in the Youth of this community and assures the funders of the potential success of the project.
Use of financing
Transport (Access to 10 schools): R400.00*10=R4 000.00
Facilitation Handouts (10 programs, 10 schools): R10 000.00
Facilitation (10 Sessions, 10 Schools): R400.00*10=R40 000.00
Workshop (1 workshop/mentors, Average 5-10 Schools, Facilitation+ Venue+ Learning Materials): R60 000.00
Workshop Catering to the learners (Lunck and tea break snacks, average of 40 learners): R20 000.00
Counseling (8 hrs/week*20 weeks): R200.00/Hr=R32 000.00
Medical Services: 4 Patients/week
Total amount: R350 000.00
Looking for similar investment opportunities